Falooda (also Faluda), is a cold dessert popular in the Indian subcontinent. Traditionally it is made from mixing rose syrup, vermicelli, psyllium (ispaghol) or basil (sabza/takmaria) seeds, tapioca pearls and pieces of gelatin with milk or water. Vermicelli used for preparing falooda is made from arrowroot whereas vermicelli used in the Indian version is usually made from wheat.
What is falooda
Falooda is an Indian type of a noodle-based cold dessert. It is developed on the Persian dish faloodeh, which has several variations throughout West, Central, and South Asia.
Falooda ingredients typically include:
- Vermicelli or Falooda Sev: Thin, translucent noodles made from wheat, cornstarch, or rice flour. These noodles are cooked and then cooled before being added to the dish.
- Rose Syrup: A sweet, fragrant, and brightly colored syrup made from rose water or rose essence. It adds a distinctive flavor and color to the falooda.
- Ice Cream: Typically, vanilla or kulfi (a dense, creamy Indian ice cream) is used, but various flavors can be chosen according to personal preference.
- Sweet Basil Seeds (Sabja Seeds): These small, gelatinous seeds are soaked in water and added to the falooda. They provide a unique texture and are known for their cooling properties.
- Chopped Nuts: Common choices include almonds, pistachios, and cashews. They add crunch and nutty flavor to the dessert.
- Milk: Chilled milk or sometimes a mixture of milk and condensed milk is poured over the other ingredients.
- Ice Cream Toppings: Whipped cream, cherries, and additional nuts are often used as garnishes.
Ingredients for falooda involves layering these ingredients in a tall glass, creating a visually appealing dessert. It can be customized in various ways, with different flavors and ingredients to suit individual tastes. Falooda is not only enjoyed for its sweet and creamy flavors but also for its diverse textures, temperatures, and refreshing qualities. It’s a popular dessert in Indian, Pakistani, and Middle Eastern cuisines and is particularly popular during hot summer months.
Benefits of Falooda
The present day Falooda is a result of the many variations, but it always brings you the following health benefits due to the basil seed inside:
1. Aids Weight Loss
Rich in alpha-linolenic acid, basil seeds are known for their weight loss benefits. As they are full of fiber, they keep you full for a long time, prevent unwanted cravings and aid in weight loss.
2. Controls blood sugar levels
It slows down the metabolism of your body and controls the conversion of carbs into glucose. It is considered to be good for type II diabetes patients.
3. Helps relieve constipation and bloating
Basil seeds naturally detox your body by regulating smooth bowel movement. It contains a volatile oil that helps relieve gas from your gastrointestinal tract and acts as a stomach cleanser.
4. Helps treat acidity and heartburn
Basil seeds help to neutralise the acidic effect of HCL in the body, which can bring relief from acidity and heartburn. As the seeds are consumed after being soaked in water, the water content helps soothe the stomach lining and, in turn, relieve you of the burning sensation.
5. Good for skin and hair
Basil seeds benefit for skin can be accomplished by adding crushed basil seeds to coconut oil and applying it on the affected area. It helps in treating skin ailments such as eczema and psoriasis. Eating basil seeds regularly helps your body to secrete collagen, which is required to form new skin cells.
Basil seeds have also been proved to be beneficial for healthy hair as they are full of iron, vitamin K and protein that is needed for long and strong hair. The antioxidant properties of basil seeds also benefit your skin and hair.
6. Helps cure cough and cold
Yet another basil seeds benefit is its antispasmodic property. These seeds soothe the spasmatic muscles and help them relax. The antispasmodic property helps to control whooping cough. They also aid in strengthening the body’s immunity system.
Basil seeds are a rich source of minerals which are essential for your body to stay healthy. They are loaded with health benefits and have recently started gaining popularity for their weight loss properties.
7. Helps in Weight Loss
Basil seeds are known to be rich in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which comes from high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids present in the seeds. These acids help in boosting the fat burning metabolism in the body. It is also full of fibre, so keeps your stomach satisfied for longer and prevents unwanted cravings. You can add it to a bowl of yoghurt or sprinkle some in a fruit salad as a pre-meal snack to control appetite.
The bottom line
Nawon Falooda is smooth, creamy, crunchy, sweet and refreshing, and it plays on all of your taste buds. A milkshake with health benefits exists, and it’s giving us all of the feels. They not only help in keeping your skin and hair healthy but also offer several other health benefits required for a healthy life. Recently, basil seeds started gaining popularity for their ability to aid weight loss.